We have all heard, seen, or have even read about cleansing our body at one point or another. For some this may sound like a fad, but cleansing has been around for centuries, it has been used by many cultures as a natural way of keeping the body healthy. On a daily basis our bodies endure toxins, stress, and excess hormones. In preparation of conceiving, it is extremely important to cleanse the liver, and uterus. By creating a healthy body it could be one of the most beneficial things that can be done before pregnancy can occur.
The time spent preparing for conception is one of the most important times to develop a healthy body and getting it ready for pregnancy. During this time a fertility cleanse would be most beneficial. By doing a fertility cleanse, it helps the liver to rid the body of toxins and excess hormones and helps the uterus to rid itself of old stagnant blood and tissues, therefore, increasing circulation to the uterus and development of healthy tissue in the uterus.
As life goes on our bodies can accumulate toxins from the chemicals in the air, earth, water, from the products we use on our bodies and from the food and drinks we consume. Most of these toxins end up getting stored in the fat tissues of our bodies and become released faster through a cleanse of the body. Many of the toxins that are in our bodies are; excess hormones from birth control, Cigarette smoke first and second hand, pesticides, excess hormones, poor diet and alcohol.
In the perfect world we want our bodies to be as healthy as possible during pregnancy. So when we cleanse our bodies we give our bodies the support it needs to naturally rid itself of these substances. Not just any cleanse is going to be beneficial for fertility. Therefore, a fertility cleanse is recommended to cleanse the reproductive system and aid the body in eliminating the additional burden of substances that are not ideal for fertility. A fertility cleanse focuses on three major areas; liver, uterine, and circulation.
Our liver is an incredible organ, it helps to filter toxins and excess hormones from the body. Sometimes, when we don’t follow a healthy diet, lifestyle, or continue to have excess stress in our lives, it decreases the ability of the liver to remove these toxins. So by doing a cleanse our liver gets the stimulation and support it needs to get rid of these substances.
During our monthly cycle the uterus releases the lining that was created that month for the possible implantation of an embryo. In some instances, the uterus doesn’t completely shed the lining and is not completely cleansed every cycle, leaving tissue and old stagnant blood behind. When our uterus is full of old blood and tissue it doesn’t exactly create the most ideal environment to house a new embryo. Some of the factors that may cause the uterus to fully release its contents every month may be; Low circulation, hormonal imbalance, unhealthy diet or a misplaced uterus.
By using specific cleansing herbs you can significantly increase your uterine health, circulation and help to tone the muscles of the uterus, as well as stimulate a healthier uterine environment.
Increasing blood flow to the Uterus
For the uterus to function at its best, a healthy consistent blood flow is needed. When the uterus has proper circulation, the uterus is able to communicate with the ovaries and the rest of the endocrine system, allowing these body functions to function properly. It is therefore, necessary for the reproductive system to have a proper hormonal balance, for many functions of the reproductive system depend on it, such as ovulation, menstruation, and hormone production.
Are you in need of a Cleanse?
If you feel that you experience one or more of the following symptoms, a cleanse of your liver and uterus may be just what the doctor ordered.
- Do you experience PMS?
- Do you experience unexplained fatigue?
- Do you feel congested?
- Have you been on birth control?
- Do you have acne?
- Do you have less than 1 bowel movement a day?
- Do you have dark circles under your eyes?
- Do you have liver spots or itchy skin?
- Have you been on medication or antibiotics for longer than 1 week?
- During your menses do you have dark blood, cramps, or blood clots?
- Do you eat conventional meats and dairy?
- Are you experiencing hormonal imbalance?
- Do you experience frequent colds and flu
Cleansing for Fertility
During specific phases of the menstrual cycle, certain organs of the body are focused on while doing a fertility cleanse. For example, doing a cleanse of the liver for a fertility cleanse, will be most beneficial starting on the first day after your period has started and ending when your body begins to ovulate. This is done during this time, because it is a stimulating time during your cycle and is ideal for stimulating the liver to work a little harder. When cleansing the uterus during a fertility cleanse, should be initiated when you start to ovulate until the beginning of your period. During this phase it is more of a nourishing and building stage.
The Whole Herb
There are a lot of different forms of cleanses on the market today. Some cleanses are in the forms of capsules and teas, others are powders and drinks, and then there are complete diet shifts. When it comes to a fertility cleanse, you want what is most effective and a cleanse that is targeted for specific organs. Therefore, it is suggested that using whole herbs in the form of a teas, capsules and liquid extracts seem to be the best for effective results. These forms are also very gently on your bodies systems.
As cleanses go there are a wide assortment of cleanses with varied time lines, as well as frequent bathroom visits that may require time off from work ( who doesn’t want a bathroom vacation?). So while preparing your body for conception, you really don’t want a dramatic or harmful cleanse. A gentle and effective way of cleansing the reproductive system is the best for your body and reproductive health. While on the fertility cleanse you can work it into your daily life, no wacky dramatic dietary changes, and you can call of the bathroom vacation too.
You can expect some minor moodiness on the cleanse, this is due to the liver cleansing itself. When our body begins to start releasing the toxins and hormones, this can also trigger some feelings of crankiness, and similar feelings of PMS. These feelings are good, and a sign that your body is cleansing from the herbs you are taking. These symptoms can be helped by increasing water intake.
Liver Cleansing Herbs
- Burdock Root: Burdock root helps to stimulate digestion, as well as nourish and cleanse the liver, all of which aid hormonal balance.
- Milk Thistle Seed: Milk Thistle Seed is one of the best plants for liver health. Liver health is vital for hormonal balance. The liver helps to filter toxins from the body, including excess hormones.
- Dandelion Root: Dandelion leaves and roots are very nutritious and bitter, making this common weed a nourishing food and digestive aid. The root specifically supports liver health to help encourage hormonal balance.
- Yellow Dock Root: This herb stimulates bile production for healthy removal of toxins, is supportive of liver health and aids in iron absorption.
- Licorice Root: Licorice is an adaptogen herb, supporting the endocrine system for overall hormonal support.
- Ginger Rt.: Ginger increases circulation in the body helping to support a healthy inflammation response and normal detoxification.
- Slippery Elm: Slippery elm is the inner bark of the red elm tree. Native Americans used slippery elm in healing salves for wounds, burns, ulcers, boils and skin inflammation. They also took it orally to relieve diarrhea, stomach problems, coughs and sore throats.
- Dandelion Leaf:Dandelion leaf contains nutrients that directly and indirectly support normal liver function. In animal studies, dandelion leaf has been found to suppress fat accumulation in the liver. It contains antioxidants that promote normal lipid profiles and blood sugar. Antioxidants, like those found within dandelion leaf, may be one of the best natural therapies for protecting the liver against oxidative stress
Uterine Cleansing & Tonic Herbs
- Goldenseal Root: Goldenseal root supports a normal inflammation response which may help to prevent scar tissue and adhesion formation. It is also cleansing, antibiotic, and antimicrobial, helping the body to fight infection and occasional uterine discomfort.
- Damiana Leaf: A female aphrodisiac, Damiana has been used for centuries to help increase circulation to the reproductive system as well as increase libido.
- Dong Quai Root: Dong Quai increases circulation to the reproductive organs and is iron rich, two important aspects of building a healthy uterine lining. It is also relaxing to the uterine muscles, helping the uterus to function without tension.
- Peony Root: Overall this herb has excellent hormone balancing support. It also aids in pain reduction and relaxation. Peony encourages proper circulation in the pelvic area, making it useful for uterine stagnation.
- Raspberry Leaf: Raspberry leaf works to tone the uterine muscles and normalize blood flow during menses. This is one of the best normalizing herbs for the female reproductive organs.
- Ginger: Ginger reduces inflammation while increasing oxygen and blood flow to your uterus,
- Marigold: Marigold is a good cleansing herb that can be used to support uterine health. The fact that it has cleansing qualities but does not irritate mucous membranes makes it especially useful for a hardened uterus. Drinking marigold tea, or combining marigold and chamomile in tea, can help regulate menstrual bleeding and ease cramps. It should be used for a week prior to menstruation for this purpose, Arrowsmith advises. Avoid marigold if you are pregnant.
With all these herbs suggested, I suggest finding what will work for you. Whether it be a tea, capsules, or a full fertility cleansing kit. Many of these items can be found and purchased on Amazon, Mountain Rose Herbs, and even your local Sprouts, and Whole foods carry many of these herbs.